Saturday, June 23, 2012

Another Moment Of Brilliance

No Mayo Chicken Salad



I keep saying "this may have been my best creation yet" but I've now come to terms and just accepted that I am a badass in the kitchen. In fact, if any of you would like to pay me an obscene amount of money to be your personal chef I will gladly oblige. Anyway, enough about that and back to the recipe.. I have this "issue" with eating hot food when it's a million degrees and humid as shit outside and that obviously limits my options. But of course I just take that as a challenge rather than a road block. I will credit this tasty recipe entirely to my wild summer love affair with avocados and my need to incorporate them in to EVERYTHING. I like to make and keep shredded chicken on hand - dump a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot with some salt, pepper, and water and just let it go until it falls apart. I then mashed up avocados with a little lime juice and salt and pepper as my "dressing". Mix it all together and there you have it - chicken salad with no mayo. It's creamy and wonderful and I've already made it twice in the 3 days since "discovering it". I personally think it's far tastier than traditional chicken salad, but that's probably partly due to my unnatural love of avocados. You could eat this on an actual salad, in one of those lovely wonton cups I mentioned earlier, in a wrap,  or as I did - on a thin bun. I added onions and cilantro and tomatoes (because I'm getting to the end of my grocery week and running low on other produce) - but feel free to "bulk it up" in any way you choose.

Tropical Greek Yogurt Parfait


I am not a big meat eater - yes, I love me some steak and cheeseburgers now and then but for the most part I don't eat a lot of meat. Not because I don't want to but because I don't like a lot of it, rather. Which brings me to Greek yogurt - my favorite protein kick. I really do love the hell out of this stuff. I buy it in large containers - vanilla to eat as is, plain to sub for mayo and sour cream. And this lovely parfait happens to be my new favorite post-run late night protein punch. Vanilla Greek yogurt topped with frozen pineapple, mango, coconut, and mini chocolate chips. You could use fresh but I prefer frozen because the fat kid in me has to take time to savor and enjoy it that way rather than just inhale it in 2 minutes. Yes, it truly tastes as delicious as it looks. Sometimes I add almonds, but as I said - I was at the end of my grocery week when I took this and didn't have anymore. Eating healthy isn't just about lettuce and carrot sticks anymore, my friends! 

1 comment:

  1. I had never thought about using Greek yogurt in the place of sour cream or mayo.... I am definitely doing it!!

    ReplyDelete