Friday, June 15, 2012

Super Summer Sustenance

Inside Out Jalapeno Cheeseburgers



Tell me, who doesn't love a good burger? Especially one fresh off the grill in the middle of summer. And especially one that looks like THIS. Now I will honestly tell you this inside out burger wasn't meant to be "low points" because let's face it - this mom has 14 extra nursing points A DAY to use and it might as well go towards real, full fat, gooey cheese right?! But I WILL tell you how to make it lower. Use ground beef (or turkey!) of your choice, season the meat as you like, and form the patty around a Laughing Cow cheese wedge and chopped jalapenos and then grill. Swap a traditional bun for a light bun (or a thin bun, as used above). Be sure to pile that sucker high with veggies and there you have it - a ridiculously delicious mouth orgasm. Yes, I said it. Get familiar with the term - I plan to use it often! 


Overnight Greek Yogurt Fridge Oatmeal


Oatmeal is a great staple that I have utilized often on my weight loss journey. Tasty, easy to "dress up", and it sticks with you far longer than a bowl of Cocoa Puffs. However, in the dead of our lovely hot and humid summers choking down a bowl of hot, steaming oatmeal just doesn't do it for me. Which brought me to Overnight Fridge Oatmeal. Combine 1/2 cup of rolled oats (NOT quick oats!), 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (I use vanilla because you don't want this to taste like sour cream! My personal favorite brands are Chobani and Oikos by Dannon - yes the brand makes all the difference in the world), and 1/4 cup milk. Mix together in a jar or covered/sealed container and allow to sit overnight - at least 7 hours. When you are ready to eat, add in whatever you like. The possibilities are endless - cinnamon and pumpkin, peanut butter and bananas, pineapple and coconut - be creative! And enjoy the hell out of your new brilliant and incredibly filling breakfast!


Mango Salsa


I am a BIG FAN of making homemade salsa. Quick, rough chop salsa - NOT canned. Especially right now when produce is so tasty. For this I chopped up 2 mangos, a medium onion, a whole bunch of fresh cilantro (because I love it!), and tossed with the juice of 2 limes and salt & pepper to taste. Let it sit in the fridge for a good day or so to let all those amazing flavors come together and enjoy! Seriously, I could eat this shit on cardboard. And I just may do that, since cardboard can't possibly have many points.. 


Jamaican Jerk Grilled Chicken & Mango Salad w/ Avocado Ranch



Remember that mouth orgasm I mentioned earlier? Now your eyeballs are having a visual orgasm at this very moment, aren't they? I know, I know. It tasted as good as it looked - I assure you. The other night I made chicken for the hubs and I myself find chicken a little boring - so I took care of that. I seasoned it with my favorite Jamaican jerk seasoning (I use Pampered Chef - can not tell you how much I love this stuff, I go through bottles of it) and then threw it on the grill. In the meantime I threw together my salad - you could use whatever you like. I used lettuce, raddishes, carrots, avocado, mango (they're the perfect sweet sub for tomatoes!), and a little cheese. I then made up my own little version of avocado ranch. I use a few scoops of Greek yogurt (this is where you'll want to use plain, NOT vanilla!), mashed avocado, and a buttermilk ranch packet. You can thin it out with a little milk if you prefer. Genius, I know. Add the chicken and you have a full on {(low cal)} food-gasm!  


No comments:

Post a Comment